10 Day Spring Detox Diet
For many of us, the winter months are filled with baked goods and heavy dishes as we try to keep our bodies warm and our spirits high in spite of the cold. So if you’re feeling sluggish, a spring detox diet is the perfect way to reboot and get more energy! This week our favourite trainer, Vanessa Riccio (@greendailydose), shares her detox diet tips.
This detox will boost your immune system, improve your mood, help you shed excess weight and get glowing skin from the inside out. Try it out for 10 days and see how you feel. Don’t be surprised if you end up sticking with it for longer!
WHEN YOU WAKE UP
- Lemon water or herbal teas
Water, water, water! Yes, you’ve heard that one before. Clients always say that as soon as the weather cools they have less of an urge to drink. The best solution is to try herbal teas. Vanessa’s favourites are nettle tea and oat straw tea as they are great for radiant skin and healthy hair and nails. Another recipe is to simply boil water, turn off the heat and steep your favorite fresh herbs, such as mint.
MORNING UNTIL NOON
Your body naturally detoxifies during this time of day. Sticking with easily digestible foods encourages the natural detox cycle. Try to eat:
- Fresh fruits
- Frozen fruits
- Freshly pressed juices made from fruits or vegetables
Eat the fruits or blend them into a smoothie. Coconut water is a great addition.
- Feast on large raw vegetable salads. This should be about 80% of your meal. Feel free to add steamed or sautéed vegetables to warm up the meal.
- The other 20 % can include starch such as quinoa, wild rice, sweet potatoes, squash or avocado and/or protein such as fish, chicken, nuts or seeds.
BETWEEN LUNCH AND DINNER
- Drink 15 to 20 ounces of freshly squeezed vegetable juice or smoothie
- Drink herbal or detox tea
- Eat vegetables
- Eat fresh or dried (unsulfured) fruit
Same as lunch:
- Large raw vegetable salads as 80% of your meal and the other 20% from the starches or proteins mentioned above.
- Too cold for a salad? Substitute one of your daily salads for a large homemade soup.
- Hydrate: remember water, water, water!
- Eat: only when you are hungry and try to take large breaks between meals. Only once digestion is done can the body detox. Aim for at least 4 hours between meals and only snack if truly needed. Your body will naturally detox itself once it is alkaline: fruits, vegetables and herbs are the most alkalizing foods.
- Sleep: aim for 8 hours per night.
- Spend time outdoors: exercise and get fresh air and sunlight. These are just as essential as eating a healthy diet. Try simply taking a walk daily outside.
- Find ways to sooth stress: try mediation or yoga.
Let us know how you feel! Leave a comment and reply how this detox diet helped you.